At UiB there are four NMR spectrometers. Two of these, the 600 MHz and the 850 MHz, are located in the NNP building (Thormøhlens gate 55A) and is a part of NNP. The two additional spectrometers, which both have a field strength of 500 MHz, are located in Realfagsbygget.
Bruker BioSpin 850 Ascend
The Research Council of Norway. Its installation was done by May 2016. It has a key role to greatly enhance the reach and impact of a range of research areas by giving them an entirely new capability: access to explore much larger molecules than current equipment allows (using the TROSY-effect on proteins in particular). Moreover, research needing to identify low-concentration metabolites or other substances will also gain immensely from the enhanced sensitivity and resolution power of the new instruments.The 850 MHz magnet is the core spectrometer of the NNP project, financed by
The instrument is equipped with a 1H/13C/15N TCI triple-resonance CryoProbe. In addition an automatic sample changer (SampleJet) is available for 5x96 tubes (refridgerated, in 5 racks) + 30 positions at room temperature.
Bruker AVANCE NEO 600
The new 600 MHz instrument was installed in November 2017 at the NNP building next to the 850 MHz, and it replaced the aging AV600 which was located in Realfagsbygget. This instrument was financed by Bergen forskningsstiftelse, Sparebankstiftinga Sogn og Fjordane, Helse Bergen, and University of Bergen. The spectrometer has a versetile role, and is used for everything from organic chemistry to metabolomics and structural biology.
The instrument is equipped with a cryogenic probe with four RF channels (1H, 13C, 15N, and 31P). It also has the new generation of electronics (NEO), featuring improved dynamic range, faster control and scalability. The automatic sample changer (SampleJet) has five racks for 96 tubes, where the temperature can be set individual for each rack. In addition, it has room for 96 standard length NMR tubes at room temperature.
Bruker Biospin 500WB
The Bruker 500 MHz wide-bore spectrometer is located at Realfagsbygget, in room 3002. This instrument is tailored for solid-state NMR, micro-imaging and diffusion. The following probeheads are available:
- Triple-resonance CP-MAS (Magic Angle Spinning) probehead 1H/13C/15N, and additional RF inserts (1H/31P/23Na-29Si), for both 4 mm and 2.5 mm rotors.
- Double resonance modes: 13C/31P; 15N/13C
- Triple resonance modes: 31P/29Si-65Cu; 13C/15N-2H
- 1H channel on the 4mm MAS probe is tunable to 19F. This option will soon be available also for the 2.5mm MAS probe.
- Triple-resonance flat-coil probehead (1H/13C/15N) with a 31P switch (13C-31P switch), for NMR studies on oriented samples.
- MICWB40 micro-imaging probehead, with selective 1H RF insert, and double-tuned 1H/X RF insert (on several diameters). MICRO2.5 gradient system (2.5 G/cm/A) with amplifiers (X,Y,Z) 2xGREAT -60 (60A). Using ParaVision for multi-dimensional MRI/MRS data acquisition, reconstruction, analysis, and visualization.
- Variable-temperature Diffusion probehead with Z-gradient: BBI 500W2/S4 H&F-BB-D-05 DIFF.
The instrument was puchased by UiB as part of the Norwegin NMR Platform, and it was installed in the autumn of 2015.
Bruker Biospin AV500
The AV500 instrument is located in room 3062. It is mainly used for short routine 1H and 13C experiments where the main goal is identification and characterization of organic compounds. It is equipped with a Broadband Observe (BBO) probe. The instrument has a automatic sample changer where the users can put their sample in queue using the IconNMR software. Several other probes are available for this instrument:
- Magic Angle Spinning (MAS) probes for 4 mm rotors.
- Diffusion probe: diff30 from Bruker Biospin, z-gradient (1200 Gauss/cm). Exchangeable rf-coils (1H and 13C).
- Broadband Observe (BBO) probe: BBO (1H, BB) from Bruker Biospin.
- Selective fluorine (SEF) probe: Selective observation of 19F with decoupling of 1H (SEF 19F) from Bruker Biospin.
- Flat coil probe (custom made) for NMR studies of surfaces.